
MONTREAL – Universal Acceptance (UA) Coordination Group Workshop
Thursday, November 7, 2019 – 08:45 to 10:15 EDT
ICANN66 | Montréal, Canada

SARMAD HUSSAIN: Thank you for joining the UA Coordination meeting. In this meeting, we will basically be recapping what’s happened this week and looking at next steps. I will hand it to Dusan who is the vice chair of UAC to take us through this meeting. Thank you.

DUSAN STOJICEVIC: Thank you, Sarmad. In absence of a chair, our chair Dr. Ajay, I will be chairing this session. The idea of this session is free format. So we don’t have presentations, slides, etc., to show to you. Rather, we expect you to throw to us your opinions on what we have done during this week and what you see.

For the start, let’s throw first which I think is rather obvious that as leadership of this group we changed the format which was done in previous years. So I want to hear your opinion on this kind of format that we are trying to use, and you saw this in last seven days. So, anyone, the floor is yours. Mark?

MARK DATYSGELD: I think it was interesting and effective and allowed people to see us in different context. But one thing that I do think stands out is that a prep meeting just for us. As in, to give the Business Constituency as an example, we go out. We do a lot of different things. But our closed

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

meeting is where we arrive at here's where I'm at. This is what I think I'll do this week. And to do that at a group level would be very interesting right at the start. So you can say, hey, Mark. I'm going to do this. What do you think about that? Maybe I do this and you do that. That sort of thing, I think, could have maximized us a little more than it did. So that's where I stand on that matter. Thank you.

DUSAN STOJICEVIC: Thank you, Mark. Dennis?

DENNIS TANAKA: Thank you, Dusan. Before moving into the details of this ICANN 66, we have no format, no formal presentations, but we do have some talking points as a coordination group that we would like to just put out there and get reactions from anybody.

So we're starting with ICANN 66, the new format versus the old format. What worked, what didn't, and any improvement that you might think we need to implement moving forward.

We are going to give some time to the ambassadors. Not the presentations, but to reflect on what's working, what do you need in the field to be more effective in your work. I'll note we have only you. So Harish and Walter, they....

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Mark.

DENNIS TANAKA: Yeah, Mark, but the other. Harish and Walter are gone for the week? Okay.

And then the other topic that I have here is ICANN 67 planning which ties back to the reflection on 66.

So I just want to ask if there are any burning items that anybody wants to really talk about it so we can put it here on the agenda for this 90 minutes. I'm looking around the room. Sarmad?

SARMAD HUSSAIN: I think it would be also good for those people who have actually been attending UASG calls to get feedback on how UASG's structuring its work. Because I do remember Mark, for example, had some reservations on having too many working group email lists. So it may actually be useful to discuss how the current structure is working out since now we have some experience with that kind of format and reflect and see whether that's a best way to go forward.

DENNIS TANAKA: Thank you, Sarmad. I have it as a UASG structure. Is the collaboration effective as it is set up today? So one more. Anything else? Mark Sv?

MARK SVANCAREK: I'd like to discuss how we ensure that ICANN leadership is aware of our activities and accomplishments. Sarmad can give us an update on

what's happening there, but since I haven't seen them in any of the meetings and I'm not aware that they are really paying attention right now, they're very busy, I would like to keep this top of mind for them. We have this new structure and new planning system. I'd like them to know what we are doing so that they can feel better about continuing to fund us in this new system.

DENNIS TANAKA: Okay, so I have noted as communications vis-à-vis the ICANN Org.

DUSAN STOJICEVIC: Satish?

SATISH BABU: Thank you. I was assuming that this coordination meeting is going to also discuss the actual coordination between the working groups and some common prioritization of what we're going to do next. Thank you.

DENNIS TANAKA: I will, Satish, note that. Collaboration [inaudible] when we talk about UASG structure and the work, so I will just give a plus one something of interest. Anything else before we close the impromptu agenda? Abdalmonem, please?

ABDALMONEM GALILA: I would like to know as a follow-up for the consideration of [inaudible] groups of [inaudible], I want to know what is the relation – exact the

relation – between your ambassador and these working groups. Are there any guidelines how your ambassador would follow up with these working groups or not?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Sorry, can I just jump in? Do you think about local initiatives or all working groups?

ABDALMONEM GALILA: No, I am looking about how universal acceptance groups would communicate with your ambassadors.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Okay. Satish again?

SATISH BABU: I was asked by one of the ambassadors as to what is precisely the relation between local initiatives and an ambassador who is available locally. Thank you.

DENNIS TANAKA: So I think we can respond to that one real quick, right? The ambassador should be part of the local initiative, right? Everybody agrees?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: If there is one [in the region].

DENNIS TANAKA: Oh, of course. If there is a local initiative, the ambassador should be. I would even go further. They must be involved in the local initiative organization.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Yes.

DENNIS TANAKA: So we can strike that one out. Sarmad?

SARMAD HUSSAIN: There are some probably going to be [inaudible] cases where there is a local initiative nearby but not exactly there. So we may still want to look at those cases. There may actually such cases. Say there is, for example, a local initiative in one country but the ambassador is not in that country but in a different country. So can they still get involved from a regional basis even though local initiative is on a national basis?

DUSAN STOJICEVIC: Dennis?

DENNIS TANAKA: Yeah, sure, but I think we can talk about how on the collaboration effectiveness and the structure, we can talk about all the permutations as far as working group to working group. And when I am saying working group, ambassador local initiatives are for practical purposes working groups. So let's look at all the communication, how we can

really communicate effectively and efficiently across all these artificial barriers, if you will.

Anything else before we go back to the agenda?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I hear one after this. So there is a question about what I picked up on the field. It's a question of .icann.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Ah, yes.

DENNIS TANAKA: Okay, noted. I think we have one, two, three, four, five, six items and less than 90 minutes. So let's roll out.

DUSAN STOJICEVIC: Let's start. First item is ICANN 66, with reflection to the future organization of ICANN meetings. As I said previously, do you like this format? Do you think something is wrong? For example, let me give you one small detail. I've heard that the name of this session was is it an open session or too serious for some to come and join this particular session? So from small things to big things, what do you think about changed format and sessions that we had during this week? Sarmad?

SARMAD HUSSAIN:

Before we go into a more detailed discussion, just for information of those who are joining us I guess for the first time, just to add a bit of context. Normally, what has happened in the past is we've had what was called a Day Zero which was held one day before the conference started or the ICANN meeting started. There were obviously some motivations to doing it, but the reason it was reconsidered was because there were a few challenges in that as well.

First of all, it required everybody who was attending that Day Zero to arrive earlier than regular, and that obviously had some travel challenges and travel support challenges as well. In addition, since most of the community was arriving at the conference later than Day Zero, it made it challenging for the regular community to participate in the UA sessions.

So those were a couple of motivations to actually consider changing the schedule and slicing up it according to the working groups and making multiple sessions during the main ICANN meeting schedule to facilitate travel as well as participation by the community. So those were some of the motivations for undertaking this restructuring.

Obviously, this also has its own challenges because of the multiple sessions. It is harder on people's schedule. But in any case, this is the first time we've experimented with this mechanism, and therefore it's great to get your feedback on whether we should continue accordingly or not. Thank you.

DUSAN STOJICEVIC: Thank you, Sarmad. Anyone else? Edmon, and then Abdalmonem. Edmon?

EDMON CHUNG: I think the format this time of spreading it out on different days is good, although it creates more conflicts. But I think it's good overall. What I wanted to I guess before we jump right into the formats is what we're trying to achieve.

Going through some of the things, it seems a lot of it is reporting which is also fine. The question is who are the audience? This particular meeting I guess when I see it on the agenda, it's kind of a coordination group meeting. So it's more a working session, so to speak. But some of the sessions I guess we wanted to engage a larger audience. That is not as clear at this point.

I guess the first thing I think we should talk about is are we expecting to engage a larger audience versus we see this as a working session. Because I think in the past, the Day Zero is a little bit more of a working session, although we wanted to let anyone to come.

But I guess that's my question to the group. Is it the intent to have working session, or is it more of the intent to get the engagement from the larger community? Because I think the sessions should be set up a little bit differently depending on which direction we go.

DUSAN STOJICEVIC: Thank you, Edmon. Abdalmonem?

ABDALMONEM GALILA: Yeah, as ambassador, I need to talk more than ten minutes about what I am doing inside my country. I think it is the same issues for other ambassadors. Ten minutes is not enough. Maybe one hour. Thank you.

DUSAN STOJICEVIC: Thank you.

MARK DATYSGELD: Following up on my previous comment, for example, I'm looking at the schedule. The first day, you should look before the breakfast there was nothing there really stopping us from making a 45-minute I'm here meeting. Like time limiting ourselves to one minute, for example, and just saying this is Mark. My priorities are X, Y, and Z. And then we go out to the field. It was like SSAC closed, something like that.

So we don't need to do a Day Zero necessarily. But this prep time like here's my thing meeting wouldn't be the worst thing at all I think. Because by the time I was caught up with what was everybody's priorities, it was already Day 2 or something because we met in the corridor and like, hey, Mark. What are you doing? But that could be formalized, I think. My personal opinion. Thank you.

DUSAN STOJICEVIC: Okay. Anyone else? Sarmad?

SARMAD HUSSAIN: I think we also in the light of what Mark is saying consider organizing some I guess more possibly some informal sessions plus formal sessions. I share that because there's always a pressure on the number of sessions you can host formally within an ICANN schedule. Universal acceptance, as you can see, already has a significant one, a significant number of sessions. In fact, we actually had to cut back one session just because of scheduling constraints. So that's just something I'm putting something on the table to consider as something we need to balance. So just for you all to consider. Thank you.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Is it frowned upon, Sarmad, to have just an informal meeting? We're just meeting in a room with just the people who are very interested. Is that outside of what...?

SARMAD HUSSAIN: Right, so I guess formal means something which is on ICANN's schedule. Informal, we can still book rooms, but it will not be on ICANN's schedule.

DUSAN STOJICEVIC: Anyone else? Dennis?

DENNIS TANAKA: Just to recap and make sure I'm not missing anybody's points. So on ICANN 66 I think there's a general agreement that we like – not necessarily how much we like it – but we like the fact that we are now

in the main schedule and we have the ability, the opportunity to bring more people in to that respect.

And there's a point on clarity on the description and purpose of each session. Are we doing outreach? Are we doing working groups? So that needs to be reflected in the description of the session and potentially put our presentations and slides in advance so that people are aware. I think we did an okay job. We not necessarily conformed to the ICANN deadlines, but I think the presentations were there at least when I looked at those prior to those meetings. But I do agree that the labels of the sessions are maybe misleading or not that appealing, and we have to do a better job next time around if we do want to keep the session format.

So to that end, I also heard about the number of sessions, not enough. But that, obviously, going to the main schedule, we are going to run into this schedule conflicts with the other competing sessions. So we have to be mindful of that. We can ask for as many sessions as we wish, but at the end of the day, they are going to cut us back into that.

Yes, Mark?

MARK DATYSGELD:

Sarmad and I worked with staff to make sure that I could actually participate in some of the UASG sessions because I have these other projects that I work on – RDAP and EPDP. They did a good job, and I really only had one conflict I think that I couldn't work around.

But I'm the outlier case. So if I were not in a leadership position, it wouldn't be an issue at all and it wouldn't matter. But since currently I am, the more sessions that you add, the harder it is for staff to accommodate all three of my schedules. So it's just something to consider.

DENNIS TANAKA:

Thank you, Mark. I need somebody to be mindful of the time just to make sure we are able to cover all the items and maybe then some. I lost my train of thought. Oh, so while we were doing the ICANN 66 planning and what sessions we wanted, originally we had one more session which was a Coordination Meeting 1 at the outset of ICANN 66. So Day 1 so that we can have an opportunity to just, the idea was to give an update of where the UASG in terms of the action plan and what's the overall progress, what lies ahead, what needs to be changed, and what's upcoming during the week.

That session was cut off, and we just kept the one at the end to reflect on the previous work. So maybe that work we can do in a conference call before, a webinar or whatever means that we feel appropriate for the UASG community to get informed as to what's next. So thinking about Cancun, I think that's something that we need to do.

In terms of the combination, that was another aspect that we had to deal with. We have options of 75-minute and 90-minute session. Our option or our desire was we asked for all 90-minute sessions. I think we the exception of the measurements and ambassadors group, we got the 75 because of a conflict and then we got into the slot. So our preference

is always going to be on the 90 minutes, but at the end of the day it will depend on the ICANN meetings staff to say sorry but we'll have to give you this 75 minutes instead.

And then it is, how do we pair these groups? Just so everybody knows, in the first block was local initiatives and communications. Then we had tech and EAI. And block three was measurements and ambassadors. So did that combination work? Do we want to see something different in the next meeting?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Before going further, Edmon was telling us about – I will try to tell it shortly – so we killed the audience with reporting in a sense. Did I catch the right sense?

EDMON CHUNG: Sometimes when it's report after report, that's the effect.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Yeah.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I'm sorry, what was that?

EDMON CHUNG: I'm just saying if there were – I think on, I forgot which session, there were two or three reports that were one after the other, and that makes it difficult for interaction. [That's just my point.]

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Yes, so this point is also very important, and it goes in line how do we engage further audience. Anyone else on this topic?

DENNIS TANAKA: Yeah, so any feedback on – so on the screen, you see Block 1 through 3. That was the structure of each of these blocks. Does that work? Did you feel that those that attended, did you feel that was the right combination of each of those? Or do we need to spin off one on its own? Or do we keep the current combination?

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: It seems to me that the ambassador and local initiatives session should be put together.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Yeah, I feel that's right since the ambassadors may intersect with the local initiative, that seems to be. And then there's a joint, in the markets that we have an ambassador and a local initiative, there's a combined presentation for the whole group. Anybody different opinions or supports or different opinions on how to mix those? Yes?

DUSAN STOJICEVIC: Please?

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: We have a comment from Rahul and he says that he does support that as well. Ambassadors tie in better with local initiatives.

DUSAN STOJICEVIC: Satish?

SATISH BABU: Thank you. I also support the restructuring, but I have a question. On the one hand, the ambassadors want more time to report. They're asking for more than ten minutes. On the other hand, we don't want back-to-back reports only. So how do we balance this?

DENNIS TANAKA: So let's hold that thought when we move on to the next item, ambassadors. Okay? This is where I noted more time. But, yeah, it's noted.

DUSAN STOJICEVIC: Mark?

MARK DATYSGELD: Following up on the theme of what we're going to do, picking back up that thread, during the sessions I think when we were the most productive at least in the measurements sessions for example was

when we were going back and forth on our ideas instead of just saying this is what we did, here's how we did it. So you can't assume exactly that there will always be people present to do that, but at the same time it did feel like it was the most engaging thing to do. Because everybody is a little fed up with just listening on ICANN. So to see an actual debate about what's being done, and we are a group that does things so that enables us to do this, we should probably leverage that, following up on what Edmon was saying. We have the ability to leverage the fact that we actually do a lot of stuff. So we could conceivably focus more on that than just reporting, reporting, reporting. Having more of a chat about what we're doing.

DUSAN STOJICEVIC:

Mark? The other one.

MARK SVANCAREK:

I'm agreeing with Mark D. In the past when we had the Day Zero event, we did have good interaction and we could do real work and have debates and discussions. But it was on Day Zero which meant you never knew who was going to be able to show up. So now we have these things during the week, and I think we should get back as much as possible to these more interactive debating and working and things like that.

But then we still have kind of the same challenge. Previously, the challenge was that it was on Day Zero and who would show up. Now it's we have several sessions throughout the week, and can the right people

show up. The people who actually on an EAI day that's a little bit specialized. Can we get those people in that one particular 45-minute session?

So I think we need to think about I guess with the communications group how do we ensure that people know which sessions to come to to participate and which sessions to come to to just hear reports.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE:

I want to reflect on this. I think that what I get from you is that, for example, those working groups should do like any other working groups in ICANN, so more work. So no reporting or small reporting on previous work and to use the time to work on issues. Because it's very hard to have them on one table, so it's a unique opportunity to have all those people in those working groups to work.

DENNIS TANAKA:

I have Edmon and then myself in the queue.

EDMON CHUNG:

I think in the past we were a little bit more "independent." Now we have stronger support from GSE and from ICANN with the space. I think what we – in the past I think the most successful ones are when we go to GAC or when we go to ALAC. So I think we should be more ambitious and try to go back and plan because I think those sessions are usually most productive when we go to GAC and ALAC. So we should plan to go to ccNSO and GNSO as well. I know all of the SOs and ACs have very tight

schedules already, but just if we're planning ahead, that would be something I'd suggest we explore.

DUSAN STOJICEVIC: Let me just hold. Let me just clarify. Do you think about a joint session or just presenting our work?

EDMON CHUNG: Yeah, I think there needs to be a little bit of presenting, but we need to think through what we can engage them to do. I think there are certain elements that we thought, for example, ccNSO we came across part of the discussion earlier. Maybe some of the ccTLDs can go and look into the zone file and check whether the EAI there, most of the MX are EAI ready.

I mean, we need to think through for each of them what we can engage them in and maybe start with a little bit of a report. We do, obviously, an introduction. But then have something that could be discussed with them. That would be my preference.

For example, GNSO, maybe it's the SubPro team because they have a section on – sorry, SubPro is Subsequent Procedures for New gTLDs – they have a section on UA. Should we engage with them? Is what is in the recommendations, do they align with what we are suggesting? I guess once we find those points of attack, if you will, I think that would be more useful.

DUSAN STOJICEVIC: Thank you. Dennis?

DENNIS TANAKA: It's 20 minutes past the hour, so I want to draw a line here. But I think the main items here are that general agreement that the current block type structure works. We're going to be adjusting some of the combinations of these blocks. More outreach to other parts of ICANN that we have not reached out before like GNSO and ccNSO. So we have time to think about that. That's it. So we can move on to the next item.

DUSAN STOJICEVIC: I'll just add to the list it was from Dr. Ajay that we need to squeeze a little bit more fellowship program and newcomers, NextGen program.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I did get a direct question from one of the leaders of the BRG on why we didn't have a small presentation, why we didn't offer a small presentation on our [top] website study, for example, to them. So there is an organic request as well that we show up and offer to talk with them. So it's not like we would be offering in a vacuum. Brands Registry Group.

DUSAN STOJICEVIC: Thank you. Okay, I think we structured something for even have the [inaudible] what we are expecting for next ICANN meeting. So shall we go to the other topic, which is ambassadors? We have now more ambassadors than when we started the meeting. So please,

Abdalmonem will start with more time to present the work. I will just reflect on that. As ex UA ambassador, I think that there should be a better communication between communication working group and ambassador working group. And that there is no need to report on ICANN meetings so much what they did in the past but rather than to exchange the knowledge between themselves, exchange the practice, etc. So we should follow ambassadors on their way in their local surroundings, what they are doing, and less to hear them reporting and more to work on that.

If you have any thoughts further about ambassadors, yes?

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Rahul has his hand raised, so I think he wants to speak if possible.

DUSAN STOJICEVIC: We don't hear him.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Rahul, can you try speaking?

DUSAN STOJICEVIC: You are online. You can talk.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Rahul, are you there?

DUSAN STOJICEVIC: Rahul? Okay, we will read from the [thread]. So we tried.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Unfortunately, the audio isn't working, Rahul. So if you want to write in your comments or questions in the chat, I'll read it out loud. Thank you.

DUSAN STOJICEVIC: Thanks.

DENNIS TANAKA: Yeah, so I have on the ambassadors we appreciate the work that you do and I understand that you want to put it out there. But we have to balance the time that we have at ICANN and how do we use it effectively and efficiently for the benefit of the community. What I'm hearing is that we do want to promote your work, but we need to better use or increase the promotion through our own communication channel and try to put that work. That's what I took note. Is that correct?

GWEN CARLSON: Yeah, that's correct. And I think there are several things that we can actually do. I actually was pleasantly surprised to see how much progress had been made since the last meeting. I know now that we have Rahul and [Lilian] on the communications working group I think that we need to reset and look at some of the tactics, I think that we need to reset and look at some of the tactics we've used. Because we have so much content it is hard to get it into some of the smaller sessions.

I do have some ideas that I'll share with the communications working group. But some of the things, for example, I'd like to see our timelines from the working group or regular reports with what they're doing. We can look at doing blogs.

The other technique that we use with ICANN right now is we've been doing a series of webinars of prep week, and those have been very, very successful. I think if we can maybe break this into smaller bits and get a regular cadence of communications going, we're going to get more visibility. And then when we come to the actual ICANN meetings, maybe we can give a short recap but do a little bit more of the engagement and calls to action. Thank you.

DUSAN STOJICEVIC: Satish?

SATISH BABU: Thank you very much. In the last meeting that UASG had with ALAC, not this time but the previous time, there was a suggestion that why don't we have a newsletter from UASG that will put together all the local initiatives and ambassadors' work. Because it can be sent to many people. Thank you.

DUSAN STOJICEVIC: Okay, go, Jennifer.

JENNIFER CHUNG: Actually, from [inaudible] and also Satish suggestion to further showcase the ambassador’s work. It could be part of the materials at the UASG booth because that’s there to engage with people who come to ICANN who may not be so familiar with the UASG. I did see a lot of ambassadors sitting at the booth throughout the week and engaging with people, so that could be a good way for them to further explain what they’re doing in the field.

DUSAN STOJICEVIC: Thank you. Walter?

WALTER WU: [inaudible] from China I just want to share the existing experience that there are three [inaudible] in China right now. Part of the major work for a China ambassador is try to work with Chinese government, Chinese industry, association. I think all of us participate a lot to try to help to generate local initiatives.

So I think personally I really like the local initiative could be combined with that ambassador rather than the communication. Because to my personal knowledge, an ambassador is not for communication to the person around the world but actually it’s a [inaudible] development work for the UASG. Try to use all kinds of resources. The ambassador can [inaudible] and talk with people and try to reach a goal eventually.

But on the other hand, I realize that maybe China because this community [inaudible] all ambassadors and the local initiatives can

work very closely. But that's not the same situation in the other part of the world.

So I think maybe we can set up the local initiatives. The block will not be the local initiatives or the ambassador but could be separate with different regions because different regions will have their own model and can be applied whether [inaudible] coordinate the relationship between the local initiative and ambassador. Thank you.

DUSAN STOJICEVIC: Thank you. Anyone else? Dennis?

DENNIS TANAKA: I just want to make sure we are capturing. Harish, I know from your presentation you had some requests. For example, email addresses, UASG.tech, and I think [you] want more. I think we've discussed whether we can offer UASG.tech. It's a matter is our account set up for mailing accounts? It is?

DUSAN STOJICEVIC: Sarmad?

SARMAD HUSSAIN: We have a limited number of possibilities, so we can certainly provide them for UA ambassadors if they require or if they request for it. So certainly, if you need an email address at UASG.tech, we can certainly make those available.

DENNIS TANAKA: Yeah, I think in part, I don't want to assume but you confirmed, because it increases your brand ability or legitimacy that you're speaking on behalf of the UASG. So I think it's a good thing. If we have the ability to do so, it does not require our additional budget to it. So really [inaudible] and I would say, yes, let's do it. Anybody? I'm looking at you guys if you plus one or not.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Yeah, good morning, Dusan and Mark.

DUSAN STOJICEVIC: Good morning.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I support the idea of a newsletter as has been proposed by Satish and would internally get back with Sarmad and others in the communications working group to check how to make it possible.

As regards the format of the current meeting and what we did, there seems to be a general consensus that we all liked what happened and would possibly want to take it further at the next level.

We need to possibly be following a more aggressive outreach path, trajectory. And how to best and most optimally go about doing that is something which we need to internally look in.

I also take note of the point made by Walter in terms of his assertion that possibly a UA ambassador's work profile is not 100% a communications profile but more ties in better with the local initiatives. Yet, the communications team relies heavily upon the work being done by the UA ambassadors at the local level and we draw extensively upon that to come out with our communications and we will continue to do that.

So it's a shout out to all the ambassadors to keep on populating whatever resources and whatever good work they have done and sharing it with the communications team so that they can showcase their work in the best manner possible and how we can most effectively work at the cause of UA proliferation. However, my general sense is that we need more evangelists, for want of a better word, in this area who may be able to convert more and more people on the spot and to get more and more people to embark upon this journey.

So I wanted to elicit the views of this group in terms of what's the best path for us to go about doing that because that, I think, is going to be finally fundamental in mobilizing us and setting us on the actual transition on the ground.

As I see it right now the talk is there. The pitch is there. Everybody is hearing you. You have got the eyeballs. You have got the visibility. However, that initial jumping board push is required to propel people to take the leap of faith. And they need to be actually convinced that it is required and it will be worth their while to undertake this effort. So we need actually people who can make them believe that idea. So I

think I remain open to the views of the learned people here in terms of how they can help us fill that bit, that gap that exists. Thank you.

DUSAN STOJICEVIC: Thank you.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: We have a comment from [inaudible]. Is it possible to organize a hackathon with students in the technology area in Mexico a few days before ICANN 67? As a way to test the local area connection in the LAC world before public meetings.

DUSAN STOJICEVIC: The answer is I think not at the top of our heads so we cannot say immediately the answer. Yes, nice idea. We can try to facilitate that, but it takes time. Guys, just to say why you are here and why you are like a separate topic here, I think you need to take that as a very positive comment because your presentations blown away in certain moments even leadership, may I say so. Yes. So in a positive way, we don't want to hear that from ICANN to ICANN. We want to hear that all the time and to hear from you all the time what you are doing and how the progress is going. Dennis?

DENNIS TANAKA: With that, I think we have a few notes here to really add on it, so thank you. We can move on to the next item on the agenda. We have 35 minutes to go through four items. ICANN 67 planning.

DUSAN STOJICEVIC: You can write idea about [inaudible].

DENNIS TANAKA: Yeah, so we have a few items here based on the 66 reflection. The new block structure. I think we're going to stick with the – I'm sorry, I should have here one more – and reflecting on the differences of outreach and working session. I think it's clearly the local initiative and ambassadors is more on the outreach side of it to bring more people in. So in that respect we should plan it accordingly in terms of timing.

I know that a lot of because this is a wide area to cover – we have from Asia, Africa, Middle East, Latin America and the Caribbean region – we want the most people engaged in those sessions.

Tech and EAI, that's a very reasonable marriage if you will, so I don't think that makes sense to separate them. And then we have, so [inaudible], you're stuck with me. So measurement and communications. And then we will have a similar session coordination at the end of the week to, again, do this workshop type and to reflect and plan for the next meeting and try to increase.

I put it on purpose here budget FY21. That's something that we need to start working on around March timeframe to have not only a budget – when I say budget it's really the action plan and then the budget that will come to it. That, of course, is going to be contingent to whatever ICANN Board UA progress might look like and how would that shape the structure of us.

I noted to try to increase the outreach. We already do GAC. We already ALAC. We need to expand to GNSO, ccNSO, whatever form that might be. Also NextGen. I think Ajay already has hinted that we want to do that, and I think that's a good idea for the newcomers to understand and get introduced to the subject of universal acceptance.

Anything else for 67? Mark and then Walter?

DUSAN STOJICEVIC:

Mark?

WALTER WU:

I have a suggestion that whether the UASG consider set up some session with both the registrar and the business constituency. The [true reason] of that is actually the registrar in most of the countries is combined with not only the domain name registration but the email solution and the website development. Actually, a lot of what we can share in this UASG could a registry [inaudible] a very good channel.

For example, the email solution. The IDN email. If a registrar can actually implement that for the enterprise email solution but also it's a very good revenue generator, a new revenue generator for them. They could learn and really help us to accelerate the process.

Secondly is about the business. If we can get the chance to have communication with the business constituency to really let the [inaudible] the biggest brand owner in the world to understand what the UASG is about. And are there any challenges when they launch their

new gTLD domain name. And also, some of the business constituency is interested to the dot brand in the next round. So they have to learn about what the challenge of the UA is. So those are my two suggestions. Thank you.

DUSAN STOJICEVIC: Mark?

MARK DATYSGELD: Just to react briefly to Walter, I do lobby the BC like constantly. They are deeply aware of our work because I just bother them so much. And the other Mark does the rest of the bothering. So I think that between us we bother them a lot.

I would say just for the interest [of the room], they're actually very interested. I think that we've managed to convince them of the importance of the project. So it would be – the BC has in their open session some slots to bring external speakers in. It would be good to bring someone to outreach directly to them that's not us so they see new faces.

About ICANN 67 planning, one thing that happened yesterday that I found interesting in the financial session the people from the ICANN financial sector mentioned lack of UA acceptance as something that was directly negatively impacting the budget projections. That was actually said. It was a point in their forecast. It's an actual part of their planning assumptions. How much universal acceptance there will be and, therefore, how much new domains will be sold.

This leads me to a question of how much are we engaging with the staff or with the different ICANN sectors internally. Not only externally. This is external. But how much are we really talking with them in that sense? Because it was a very one-sided discussion. They're like our assumptions depend on this, but we basically don't know what's going on.

So I would say that for the next meeting we should maybe endeavor to in-reach a little as well. Not just outreach. So that ICANN itself knows what we're doing. And not saying Sarmad is not doing that madly because I know he is. But there's a lot going on. There's a lot of interest in UA, and maybe not everybody's following on all levels. Thank you.

DUSAN STOJICEVIC:

If you think, Mark, about inside of office, so ICANN Org employees, do they know what is UA and UA impact, I think that Number 6 is your topic. Anyone else want to comment on this? Abdalmonem?

ABDALMONEM GALILA:

I just want to share for [inaudible] feedback about ambassador or universal acceptance. I received an invitation from AFRALO to talk more about universal acceptance at every webinar meeting. And also received now feedback from [inaudible] that they requested me not to forget [inaudible] from our [inaudible] for universal acceptance.

DUSAN STOJICEVIC:

Thank you.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: We have a comment again from [inaudible] about outreach leading up to ICANN 67. He wants to stress the importance of having UA ambassadors who speak Spanish natively as well to reach that NextGen and fellowship and young group in Mexico.

DUSAN STOJICEVIC: Okay.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I have that covered, so I will be around. I'll be around one week hopefully before the meeting there. So all of these discussions as in the hackathon – with the help of my boys here – hackathon, reaching natively in Spanish, and all of that, I have that covered. Thank you.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: I think he also just wanted to get you more help.

DUSAN STOJICEVIC: Yeah, so let them apply. Okay, let's go to the next item, UASG structure. Dennis, would you like to give a little bit about that?

DENNIS TANAKA: Sure. I think the point here was the collaboration across working groups. Just one example, the tech group EAI and the measurement group have a common goal which is prepare [inaudible] framework

which is underway and how are we communicating effectively or not. And also the ambassadors. I think they want to see increased communication more efficient across channels, how they communicate with each of the working groups and vice versa. I think that's the theme. So those that raised their hands on collaboration [inaudible] please chime in.

DUSAN STOJICEVIC: Okay, if anyone wants to add any comment on that? Yes, go ahead.

GWEN CARLSON: Speaking for the communication group, I think it would be helpful if we had more reporting and a better understanding of what the working groups are doing and key timelines. In an ideal world we would be able to map out a month, two months, three months, four months, whatever it is with key accomplishments or targets.

And then we can plan appropriately what communications tool we should use to let the world know about the progress. It might be a blog. It might be just a social media push. Whatever. But I think that the comms group does need to have better insight into what's going on. Thank you.

DUSAN STOJICEVIC: Thanks. Anyone else? I'm hearing none. Dennis?

DENNIS TANAKA: Abdalmonem, you have something?

DUSAN STOJICEVIC: Harish.

DENNIS TANAKA: Oh, Harish? Okay.

HARISH CHOWDHARY: I'm just [inaudible] curious how communication working group is going to help ambassador for their upcoming workshops. For example, on 23 November there is a UA workshop in India. Is there pre workshop communication outreach and post workshop? That is how it is divided with communication working group? Or do I have to send out details or in how many ways we are collaborating with the communication group as ambassador?

DUSAN STOJICEVIC: Gwen?

GWEN CARLSON: Thank you. This is actually the first I've heard of this. So this is a good example. If I know what you're doing, where you're doing it, I can work with the communications working group to announce it, to push via social, etc. We might also ask you to leverage some of your own channels. But we have to know well in advance and plan, and then we

can put together an integrated type of communications approach to get that out.

This is something we might even feature in ICANN regional newsletter. But again, I can't emphasize enough how important it is to know about this well in advance so we can plan and not be reactive. Thank you.

DUSAN STOJICEVIC: Okay, Mark?

MARK DATYSGELD: Just following up on what Sarmad initially said. My worry about the multiplication of email lists is that we might, and I think we are, missing the [inaudible] of what's going on. So I wonder how feasible it would be just to have maybe one update every two months [inaudible] and not even say anything too drastic. Like, hey, this is what we did in the past two months. Just something like that. I think if I could get that insight from EAI, for example, the group that I follow the least but still follow, it would be pretty interesting. Like, hey, what we accomplished. Moving on. So that we know as we have more local initiatives and more things what's going on in the lists.

DUSAN STOJICEVIC: Sarmad?

SARMAD HUSSAIN: Just to respond to Mark, I think that's already planned. So the UASG leadership is planning to host at least one quarterly call with the larger community on the UA discuss list but as well as anybody else who would like to join. Just to make sure that everybody is tuned into the progress being made by the UASG.

DUSAN STOJICEVIC: Walter?

WALTER WU: Actually, I have a question about the communications group and the local initiative. Actually, [inaudible] for local initiative [inaudible] and the local communication, for example, from local resources about the knowledge of UA could be translated and actually executed by the local initiative. So what's the relationship with communication working group and the local initiative? Maybe in my understanding the communication is like [inaudible] international [inaudible] communication and the local communication will be set up to local initiative. I just to make sure about that part and in the future as ambassador we can work with them to put the input to try to make the local materials.

DUSAN STOJICEVIC: Sarmad?

SARMAD HUSSAIN:

At least I see two different things. One is that there is a comms working group needs local initiatives and ambassadors to help take the generic messaging or global messaging they're producing and help them localize it so that it makes I guess a small better contextualized for local audience. So they may be looking for input from ambassadors and local initiatives to fine tune the general broader messaging.

And it actually works the other way around as well that local initiatives and ambassadors since they're on the ground, comms may be developing generic messaging and may actually miss some of the more detailed messaging which is needed. So ambassadors really should be identifying any regional messaging which is needed and local initiatives should be identifying any regional messaging which is needed for locally as well as even I guess there could be cases that it could be different from country to country because of differing needs. And pass that back on to comms team so that they can determine that specialized messaging and collaboratively develop it.

So I think there is a need for both to interact with each other to get to that goal.

DUSAN STOJICEVIC:

Satish?

SATISH BABU:

Thank you. While I sympathize with the ambassadors in perhaps having to report or share their plans with multiple entities, I still think it's very valuable to have a single point that knows all about all activities that

are happening around the world. This would logically be the communications group. So I think when the larger ICANN community wants to know about UASG, they're going to go to the website – which presumably is controlled by the comms people – for a single point information source.

So I would say that my opinion would be that the communication group should be aware of everything that's going on. Of course, I agree that targeted messaging for a local initiative can be left to the individual ambassadors. That's fine. But overall, we need a single point of information. Thank you.

DUSAN STOJICEVIC: Thank you. Abdalmonem?

ABDALMONEM GALILA: [inaudible] Facebook for UASG. Is there a Facebook for UASG and a Twitter account? [inaudible] to have spread ambassador activities for [inaudible] social media account not restricted to one region. [inaudible] to make to be [inaudible] for other regions for ambassador program.

DUSAN STOJICEVIC: Okay, noted. Okay, so we are going to – I think we finish this from all angles – so we are going to next communication to/from ICANN leadership. Dennis, would you like to?

DENNIS TANAKA: Yeah, I think somebody – Mark Sv – was that you? Communications tool from ICANN leadership. So can you elaborate on that so that we can [inaudible]? Thank you.

MARK SVANCAREK: Yeah, so our new structure is, of course, a top-down type of structure to bring us in line with other parts of ICANN. So Cyrus has asked us to go down this path. I don't know how engaged he is now. There wasn't much visibility to his engagement in the past. It was all moderated through Don.

But today or last night I guess, we were in the elevator together and I said you should have been there at the ambassadors meeting. I think you would have liked it. And he said, yes, I heard about it, and then we left. I wondered, I wonder are you just being polite or did you hear about it? What did you hear about it?

And then I started to think even more about it. What do they think about this? And what information are they really absorbing? And do we need to improve this? Is this good enough? Or are we going to have some concerns in two quarters that this didn't go how they expected? Maybe I'm just inventing a concern that isn't real, but I was thinking about it since last night and so I wanted to bring it up. Thank you.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Thank you, chair. I totally welcome the information which has been shared by Mark Sv. I feel that it is something which is very relevant for this group today. I think we should seriously look at considering how to

take this forward in formalizing this probably in a better way. For each ICANN meeting there should be a formal outreach to the GDD from our side.

And we should in fact establish some kind of permanent channel of communication with them, for lack of a better word, so that we are able to understand their concerns better as well as probably it works for the measurement group and some of the other groups in terms of a constant feedback channel from them as to what is working, what is not working, what is working to what extent. I think we need to have a constantly open line of communication with them. Thank you.

DUSAN STOJICEVIC: Thank you. Sarmad?

SARMAD HUSSAIN: There are actually, when we talk about ICANN leadership there are at least two different things I at least interpret that. One is obviously the ICANN Board and also senior management within ICANN. So just to let you know recently for those who are not aware the Board IDN working group has expanded its oversight role to include universal acceptance. So there is now actually a focused Board oversight role which includes universal acceptance. And they get regular updates from ICANN Org on progress previously on IDN program and now also that will include the UA program.

In order to obviously facilitate that ICANN Org has now established a UA program itself. Initially, that was not as formalized within ICANN, but

now there is a formal UA program which has been set within ICANN and will have obviously resources dedicated to that program. And that means that through that program there is going to be consistent regular updates to the ICANN Board as well as very frequent updates to senior management within the ICANN structure since the UA program will be directly facilitating and supporting the UASG, all that work actually directly channels to senior management.

So internally within ICANN I think that's now getting reasonably well structured. This is still a work in progress, so it's not something which has been going on for multiple months. It's something which is currently being set up actually. And it's [generally] I think getting formalized. This meeting was a major step in that direction.

So I think you'll see it gets much more streamlined as we go forward. So internally the progress all of you are doing, the community is doing is getting very regularly channeled to senior management and ICANN Board. However, if there is more you would like to do directly as UASG, of course, you are very welcome. I see Gwen also wants to make a comment. But please, just want to make sure that you understand that all this information is getting passed through internal channels to all the right people. Thank you.

DUSAN STOJICEVIC:

Gwen?

GWEN CARLSON:

Thank you. Yeah, I just wanted to add too that Sarmad and other members of ICANN Org staff are regularly briefed. In fact, I think the Global Stakeholder Engagement team, they have monthly calls. We do that. We've had a community engagement team that we actually had a briefing in Washington, DC. It's on the agenda. So more and more we are putting this on standard agendas. I know for the comms team, for example, I give them regular updates twice a month at least.

So I certainly think there's more we can do and, again, going back to if we have schedules and timelines and so forth, we'll do it. But I also wanted to remind people it is part of our strategic plan. So I can assure you it's top of mind for many, many people.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE:

I would like to thank Sarmad and Gwen for updating us on the fact that now ICANN Board is really serious about this initiative and has established their internal lines of communication to make sure that they are constantly updated about all the developments that are taking place.

However, the point I was trying to make and possibly I did not make myself adequately clear is that the working group is a formal structure which comprises of the community representatives and people from other organizations as well who have their skin in the game.

So it would be worthwhile to have a formal kind of a dialogue, two-way communication so that not only can the community tell the Board what is their expectation from the Board in terms of enabling the cause of

universal acceptance and what help they would expect from the Board. But also probably it provides a formal mold for the Board to come back to the community and to put forth what its expectations are from the community in this respect.

So I think there is a need, a compelling need for formalizing this at the level of the working group also. And while I fully support and it's heartening to note that there is now the seriousness to at least have a Board mobilizing their internal team to get constant reporting on this. And I think that is a shout out to the kind of significance in the ramping up of engagement which has been undertaken and the work which has been undertaken by this group. And it's all kudos to the people who are here who have made the Board take note of it sufficiently so as to engage their team to provide them with regular reportings. Thank you.

DUSAN STOJICEVIC:

Okay, Mark? You wanted something?

MARK SVANCAREK:

I just wanted to amplify that last intervention. It sounds like we have a great channel now that goes up to the Board and goes out to other parts of staff. I need to make sure that, we need to make sure that the dialogue is happening, that information is coming back down from the Board and making it in a meaningful way to both the UA leadership and the community. Thanks.

DUSAN STOJICEVIC: I don't know this up and down. I like more two-way street.

MARK SVANCAREK: Well, okay, yes. Side-to-side and round-and-round as opposed to just simply in one direction.

DUSAN STOJICEVIC: Okay, so any more comments on that?

DENNIS TANAKA: So just 20 seconds to recap. There is communication going up through our Org colleagues. And I think, Mark, to your point, I think it's more on the are we getting more of the details what it's like, what it's not, what should we improve or whatnot, right? Okay, thank you.

DUSAN STOJICEVIC: Thanks. If there is no other comments, I will go to sixth .icann. This is my topic, and it includes several things that were already said today. In order to feel the pain that we need to solve as UASG, I was constantly wondering why is ICANN Org not .icann?

So to stress a bit, it popped out in [inaudible] during the session that some people were claiming, and I was transferring this message during one session that they're selling new gTLDs but they are not using new gTLDs. So in some sense, first clean your backyard, then look for the others.

It was a message that was [inaudible] was moderating a session in [inaudible] on Eastern Europe in DNS forum about UASG. And in fact, it covers also what Mark was saying about inside. Although we like two-way street, as we said, they will realize more efficiently what is the problem, for example, with visa for Canada to have .icann not accepted email for employees of ICANN. In that way, ICANN will intervene directly.

Right now we have complaints on that topic from several people. I think Jothan Frakes was writing a complaint about Canada embassy not accepting new gTLDs in some way. So that is idea behind. So what are your thoughts about that?

MARK DATYSGELD:

I'll follow up on what I said and tie in with the previous question as well. What surprised me was not that [inaudible] was part of their financial assumptions was that we don't discuss that with them, they don't discuss that with us. It's not a consideration that is being taken together anyway.

I'm sure the staff briefs them, but for it to be a consideration it means that what we are doing is just not for a personal interest in making the DNS good. It's a revenue generating mechanism for ICANN that figures into their planning process. And we don't discuss this in that way. We discuss this as our project that we care about multilingualism, but it is.

So this needs to be on the table. This is not a for fun project. They recognize that clearly if it's on their financial assumptions and it

drastically changes their projections. So why don't we have a more direct discussion with them in that sense?

Because whenever I bump – and this is a personal grievance, sorry – whenever I talk with ICANN staff, I get this same line. UA is good, but it's not ICANN's problem. It's not within ICANN's remit. And I always go it is within ICANN's remit. You're selling it. [inaudible] limited [mission]. It is your problem. You should be helping us directly with this. You are the one at the end of the day selling and guaranteeing this. So why is this sort of dialogue not being established with the staff?

Because apart from the ones that interact directly with us, they have this vision. The vision that it's not within our remit. Then whose is it if it's not ICANN's? So that's my – sorry for venting a little bit, but I do discuss this a lot with staff. Thank you.

DUSAN STOJICEVIC: Edmon?

EDMON CHUNG: I think that should change. I don't think that is the ongoing situation tough. Maybe a year ago or so that's the case, but I think that has changed because UA is not firmly in the strategic plan. So note that, but I don't think going forward that would be the case. That shouldn't be the main battleground.

About .icann we need to be, I guess, conscious about the new gTLD program. ICANN is a reserved word for gTLDs and I believe both the top

level and at the second level. I think talking about .icann just creates too much unnecessary attention.

But rather perhaps encouraging ICANN to use multiple domains. Many companies use multiple domains and top-level domains in various different work. It doesn't have to be just ICANN.org. They can use ICANN.something-else and in different languages as well. I think that would be a more useful push because .icann, that would be multiple PDPs potentially before we can see the light of day.

DUSAN STOJICEVIC: Okay, next?

PITINAN KOOARMORNPATANA: Hi. I guess I have in here one of the questions that might be also have to put on the table. If we are going to text the EAI, then the whole address and whole IDN has to be in the same script at least. So .icann if it happens, it might have to think about what scripts it's going to be in as well. So this is just one of the questions. I don't have any preference. So something that if the communities feel strongly to pursue this, this also be the question to think about. Thank you.

DUSAN STOJICEVIC: This was also mentioned. I'd like to second that. This was also mentioned in [inaudible]. Not only .icann on ACSII script but .icann on several scripts, including Hindi, Arabic, and others. Dennis?

DENNIS TANAKA: I'm just going to ask, is there any action item for us to take note?

DUSAN STOJICEVIC: We are discussing still.

DENNIS TANAKA: Oh, okay.

DUSAN STOJICEVIC: I'm hearing that Edmon has, well, he's reserved about this. But from what I hear, I see that this can be like a suggestion at least to ICANN Board. Let us use this two-way street. So let us give them the message that they could think about .icann. So even – yes?

EDMON CHUNG: Yeah, just briefly, I'm not against raising it. I mean, it obviously is a good attention grabber. But I think realistically what we should probably push for ICANN to do is to use different languages, different domains as a group, not just ICANN.org. I mean, that allows them to embrace the different IDNs and they can use EAI as well. So that's my point.

DUSAN STOJICEVIC: Thank you.

DENNIS TANAKA: Thank you. Satish, do you want to introduce the next subject?

SATISH BABU: Yeah, we have the IGF in Berlin coming up. We're aware that a lot of [inaudible] interested in this particular subject of our work are also converging at Berlin. ICANN has a – actually, UASG has a workshop. [Formally] there's a workshop which is good for [inaudible].

But in addition, my colleagues from ALAC from the European region, they have booked a hall for discussing this topic on the 27th 11:30-12:30. I can share the details of the venue. It's in the main venue itself. So if there's anything else that we would like to discuss, we can use this space for a meeting. Thank you.

DUSAN STOJICEVIC: Okay, Satish.

DENNIS TANAKA: Thank you, Satish. Along those lines, I want to repeat in the upcoming IGF Berlin in November, end of the month, 27-29, there is now three engagements on universal acceptance. One is a workshop organized by ICANN and UASG. There's another one on the dynamic coalition [front] from the DNS issues. And also ALAC, so the have an open I guess, right? Open working session space. So that's great. I think Roberto [already] talked to me. So those of you attending the Berlin, please pay attention to those sessions.

DUSAN STOJICEVIC: Please.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE:

I would thank our colleagues here, Satish and Dennis, to have put forth before the group the initiatives which they are taking at different fora. This will definitely go a long way in enabling our communications team to publicize and put them in the forefront and showcase them to the community that much better.

I would also take this opportunity to request all of you community members, I'm sure you will all be going to various Internet governance related fora throughout the year. So if you can as a part of the communications team if we can get a heads up on what all good work you are doing.

It may not necessarily be formally on behalf of the UA group per se, but even if you are otherwise, for instance, Satish mentioned that he from his hat of ALAC is organizing something to do with the UA. So if we can possibly have a heads up on that slightly early on in the timeline, then that will help us that much more to project that better, to showcase that better, go about on the social media generating some kind of blitzkrieg around it so that more and more people will be aware about it.

So anyone and everyone who is going to be there at that event would find it hard to miss that piece of information and would be drawn toward that event. So I would request all of you to help out the communications team in this regard and help us perform our work better and help us showcase you guys better. Thank you.

DUSAN STOJICEVIC: Thank you. I must say that we are two minutes after, so we need to wrap up this session. So thank you all for coming. We don't have anything on – okay, so the session is over. Thank you.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]